Moving & Handling Train The Trainer Course
This intensive advanced level 4 day course for staff appointed as manual handling trainers in healthcare settings. Delegates will develop the knowledge and skills required to fulfill the duties of the role.
Delegates must pass:
- a written test at the end of the course.
- submit suitable risk assessments within a month of completing the course.
Number of Delegates: 6- 12
- Able to identify the needs of their area e.g. training requirements, equipment and specialist advice.
- Confident to bring those identified needs to the attention of their manager.
- Co-ordinate and lead the preparation of risk assessments and safe systems of work.
- Co-ordinate and lead the preparation and delivery of manual handling training to colleagues.
- Monitor safe manual handling practices in departments.
- Be aware of the need to attend training including, risk assessment and trainer updates, to keep up-to-date with developments in manual handling.
Course Outline (Train The Trainer Course) DAY 1:
- Cost of manual handling injuries
- Legislation and policies
- Anatomy of the spine and back care
- Biomechanics and back care
- Risk management
- Revision of Day 1
- How to move objects safely
- Practical manual handling techniques (loads)
- Teaching skills
- Manual handling equipment workshop
- Revision of Day 2
- Condemned manual handling techniques
- Practical manual handling techniques 1 (people)
- Rolling in bed
- Lying to sitting
- Sliding in bed
- Sit to stand (STS)
- Exam briefing
- Practical manual handling techniques
- Hand holds in walking
- Standing transfers
- Practical revision
- Unsafe handling techniques
- Competence in demonstrating practical skills
- Assessment of teaching skills
- Question time
- Course appraisal
What our clients say about us:
“The trainer was very patient and facilitated the groups learning at a level everyone could understand and follow despite the group being from different departments” – Respondent from University Hospital NHS Trust – 07/04/2011